In an effort to improve traffic flow along Central Avenue and access to SR 60, the San Bernardino County Transportation Authority (SBCTA) and the City of Chino, in cooperation with the Caltrans District 8, are widening the Central Avenue interchange at the SR 60 bridge to accommodate three through-lanes and double left-turn lanes in both directions and are widening the existing eastbound and westbound on-ramps to SR 60 from one lane to two through lanes and a carpool lane. The project will:
- Relieve congestion and improve traffic flow on Central Avenue at the SR 60 interchange.
- Address increased travel associated with existing and planned development in the City of Chino.
- Provide Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant curb ramps and tactile sensors at intersections where crosswalks are included.
- Modify the bridge to meet seismic requirements.
- Construct aesthetic improvements to the bridge barrier and retaining walls.
Central Avenue at the SR-60 on and off ramps
San Bernardino County Transportation Authority (SBCTA)
Project Schedule / Milestones
January 2018 - Completion and Approval of Final Environmental Document
Summer 2020 - Completion of Final Design and Right-of-Way Acquisition
Spring 2021 - Anticipated Start of Construction
Spring 2023 - Anticipated End of Construction
April: Crews on the SR 60/Central Avenue project continue to work on drainage along the retaining wall on the eastbound (EB) on-ramp. They are also working on site grading (leveling out the dirt) and excavating the ground around various retaining walls throughout the project corridor. At times work throughout the corridor may be loud and cause vibration.
During construction, activities may include constructing aesthetic improvements to the bridge barrier and retaining walls, modifying the existing bridge structure, pavement and restriping work, traffic shifts, intermittent lane closures, and ramp closures. Please be aware and use caution throughout the corridor as workers and heavy equipment will be present.
The SBCTA team is available by phone (877-55-SBCTA) or email and committed to respond to you within 24 hours.