Vehicle Impounds / Tows

Vehicles Towed Under the Authority of the Chino Police Department

If your vehicle was towed under the authority of the Chino Police Department, the Registered Owner must obtain a release for the vehicle. Without a release, from the Chino Police Department, the tow company will not release the vehicle. In order to get a vehicle released, the following conditions must be met:

  • You must be the registered or legal owner of the vehicle
  • The vehicle must be currently registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
  • You must have a valid driver's license or bring a licensed driver with you, and you must provide a valid state or federal issued ID if you do not have a valid driver's license
  • A vehicle release fee of $215 may be required. NOTE: Additional tow charges will be required by the tow company

Vehicles Towed by Private Parties

Private Property Tows: If your vehicle was towed by a private party, a release from the Chino Police Department is not required for the tow company to release the vehicle. Contact the company that towed the vehicle. This is a civil matter, and as such, the Registered Owner must work with the tow company or property owner to resolve the matter.

Repossessed Vehicles: If the vehicle was repossessed in the City of Chino, the Registered Owner may contact the Chino Police Department to obtain a Repossessed Vehicle receipt. The fee for issuance of the Repossessed Vehicle receipt is $15.

Should you have any questions as to whether a release may be required to retrieve your vehicle, please contact the Records Unit front desk at 909-334-3001.

  1. Disputing an Impound
  2. Fees
  3. Frequently Asked Questions

Pursuant to Section 22852 of the California Vehicle Code, you have the right to an administrative hearing to determine the validity of the storage. The registered or legal owner of the vehicle, or their agent(s) may request a tow hearing (also referred to as an impound hearing). During a tow hearing, the tow hearing officer will review the information known to the Department at the time of the tow and determine if the tow was authorized per California Vehicle Code (CVC) Section 22852.

To request a Tow Hearing at the Police Department, please contact the Tow Hearing Officer at 909-334-3231 or by emailing the Traffic Services Unit. If you request a hearing, one will be conducted within 48 hours of the request, excluding weekends and holidays.