Household Hazardous Waste
In partnership with San Bernardino County Fire Protection District, the City's Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Program provides residents of Chino and San Bernardino County with a safe and convenient way to dispose common household chemicals free of charge. HHW Collection events are held every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month from 8 am to 1 pm and closed on the 4th Saturday in December at the Public Works Service Yard.
Regularly scheduled events are subject to change.
During every visit, participants are limited to dispose 15 gallons or 125 pounds of hazardous materials in containers no larger than 5 gallons. Business waste and sharps are not accepted.
The following items are accepted at the City's Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility:
- Electronic waste (TVs, printers, laptops, personal computers, etc.)
- Household generated motor oil and oil filters
- Antifreeze and gasoline (Must be stored in a sealed container)
- Automotive and household batteries
- Pesticides and fertilizers
- Paints, stains, varnishes, and paint thinners
- Chemical cleaners
- Liquid or Solid medications (no controlled substances)
- Pool maintenance chemicals
- Fluorescent bulbs and tubes
- Mercury thermostats
- Mercury gauges
- Aerosol cans
- Tires (with rim and no rim)
The following items are not accepted at the City's Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility:
- Sharps (needles, syringes, and lancets)
- Business generated waste
- Medical wastes
- Radioactive wastes
- Yard waste
- Refrigerators and Air Conditioning (AC) units
- Large appliances
Thousands of needles are dangerously thrown into the trash every day. Disposing of needles/syringes and lancets pose a serious health risk to sanitation workers, children, neighbors, pets and the community. Used needles and lancets are dangerous because they can injure people and spread diseases such as HIV/AIDS and hepatitis. In response to the potential hazard, the City of Chino and Waste Management have implemented a convenient SHARPS mail back disposal program.
SHARPS Disposal by Mail System consists of:
- Specifically designed SHARPS container
- Pre-paid shipping box
- Instructions for use
To participate in the program, please call Waste Management at 800-423-9986 to order your kit. The first container is free, all others have a $5 co-pay.
County of San Bernardino Home-Generated SHARPS Program
The following local Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Facilities accept home-generated SHARPS in approved containers from San Bernardino County residents only:
- 1430 S Cucamonga Street
Ontario, CA 91761
Friday and Saturday, 9 am to 2 pm
- San Bernardino International Airport
2824 East "W" Street
San Bernardino, CA 92408
Monday through Friday, 9 am to 2 pm
Replacement containers are available at these facilities. Call 800-645-9228 (800-OILY-CAT) for updated information on the proper disposal of home-generated SHARPS.