View the 6th Cycle Housing Element Update (2021 to 2029) Initial Study/Negative Declaration information on the Environmental Documents page.
Maps and Matrix
Please click on the Maps tab below to view the Mixed User Overlay and Affordable Housing Overlay Maps, as well as the matrix.
The Chino City Council has placed a ballot measure on the June 7, 2022 Statewide Direct Primary Election Ballot proposing an ordinance to approve the Housing Element Update to include the application of two identified overlay strategies encompassing affordable housing and mixed-uses that the City of Chino will use to meet its State-mandated Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA) allocation as well as to file a Housing Element Update that complies with State law. Learn about the upcoming ballot measure on the Measure Y page.
For More Information
For more information contact Warren Morelion, AICP, City Planner by calling 909-334-3332.
July 13 Housing Element Workshop
1st Housing Element Virtual Workshop
- What is a Housing Element?
The Housing Element is a city-initiated policy document that identifies policies and programs to meet existing and projected future housing needs for all economic segments in the City of Chino. The 2021 to 2029 Housing Element identifies specific actions to be taken over the planning period to address local housing needs. Key features of the Housing Element include:
- Population and housing profile of Chino
- Evaluation of housing constraints and resources
- Evaluation of existing housing programs and policies
- Identification of sites appropriate to accommodate housing at all income levels
- Develop policies, programs and quantified objectives
- What is the Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA) Process?
The RHNA process is mandated by state law to quantify projected housing needs within a community. The process informs Chino's planning processes by identifying future housing need as a result of projected population, employment and household growth. For the 2021 to 2029 Planning Period, The City of Chino is allocated an estimated 6,959 units to accommodate growth by income category. The Housing Element must provide sites to accommodate this estimated growth.
2021 to 2029 City of Chino RHNA Housing Needs Allocation
Income Category Percent of Median Family Income Income Range: Minimum Income Range: Maximum RHNA Allocation (Housing Units) Very Low Income 0 to 50% N/A $37,650 2,106 Low Income 51 to 80% $37,651 $60,240 1,281 Moderate Income 81 to 120% $61,241 $90,360 1,200 Above Moderate Income More than 120% $90,361 More than $91,361 2,373 Total N/A N/A N/A 6,959
Note: Income range is based on the 2020 Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Median Family Income (MFI) for San Bernardino County of $75,300.
- Why is the City updating the Housing Element?
The City of Chino is required by state law to update its Housing Element every eight years. The current adopted Housing Element is for the 2013 to 2021 planning period. The City is now planning for the 2021 to 2029 planning period. Importance of updating the Housing Element:
- Ensures the City complies with state housing laws
- Allows the City to become eligible for state grants and funding sources
- Demonstrates the ability to meet future housing growth need
- Allows the community to further engage in the planning process
- What is included in the update process?
The update process is community-based and will include a variety of activities to interface with the Chino community. Key features include:
- Multiple opportunities for the community to provide input in the process, both virtually and in-person
- Comprehensive review of demographics in the community to reflect existing conditions
- Completion of adequate sites analysis to meet 2021 to 2029 Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA)
- Public hearings before the Planning Commission and City Council
- Draft Housing Element Update - 1 - Introduction (PDF)
- Draft Housing Element Update - 2 - Community Profile (PDF)
- Draft Housing Element Update - 3 - Constraints, Resources and Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing (PDF)
- Draft Housing Element Update - 4 - Housing Plan (PDF)
- Draft Housing Element Update - Appendix A - Review of Past Performance (PDF)
- Draft Housing Element Update - Appendix B - Sites Analysis (PDF)
- Draft Housing Element Update - Appendix C - Outreach Summary (PDF)
- Draft Housing Element Update - Appendix D - Glossary of Terms (PDF)